- Purvis, A.I., Pipe, N.D., Day, J.P., Shattock, R.C., Shaw, D.S. and Assinder, S.J. (2001). AFLP and RFLP (RG57) fingerprints can give conflicting evidence about the relatedness of isolates of Phytophthora infestans. Mycological Research, 105, 1321-1330. article
- Ghimire, S.R., Hyde, K.D., Hodgkiss, I.J., Shaw, D.S. and Liew, E.C.Y. (2003). Variations in the Phytophthora infestans population in Nepal as revealed by nuclear and mitochondrial DNA polymorphisms. Phytopathology, 93, 236-343.
- Day, J.P., Wattier, R.A.M., Shaw, D.S. and Shattock, R.C. (2004). Phenotypic and genotypic diversity in Phytophthora infestans on potato in Great Britain, 1995-98. Plant Pathology, 53, 303-315.
- Deahl, K.L. Shaw, D.S. and Cooke L.R. (2004) Natural Occurrence of Phytophthora infestans on Black Nightshade (Solanum nigrum) in Wales. Plant Dis. 88:771, published on-line as D-2004-0511-01N, 2004.
- Lees, A.K., Wattier, R.A.M., Shaw, D.S., Sullivan, L., Williams, N.A. and Cooke, D.E.L. (2006). Novel microsatellite markers for the analysis of Phytophthora infestans populations. Plant Pathology, 55, 311-319.
- Cooke D.E.L, Lees A.K, Shaw D.S, Taylor M.C, Prentice M.W.C, Bradshaw N.J, Bain R.A. (2008) The status of GB blight populations and the threat of oospores. Proceedings Crop Protection in Northern Britain 2008. 217-222.
PPO Special Reports Available On The Euroblight Web Site
- David Shaw and Lucy Johnson (2004).
Progress in the selection of cultivars with resistance to late-blight disease.
PPO-Special Report No 10, 203-209
- D.T. Kiezebrink and D.S. Shaw (2006).
Assessing resistance to late-blight disease in new Sárpo clones.
PPO-Special Report No 11, 29-34
- David Shaw, Zoltán Á. Nagy, Debbie Evans and Kenneth Deahl (2008).
The 2005 population of Phytophthora infestans in Great Britain: the frequency of A2 mating type has increased and new molecular genotypes have been detected.
PPO-Special Report No 12.Simon
- White and David Shaw (2009).
Resistance of Sarpo clones to the new strain of Phytophthora infestans, Blue-13. PPO-Special Report No 13 (in press)
Papers And Posters Presented At Recent Conferences
- D.S. Shaw and D.T. Kiezebrink (2005).
Late-blight resistance in Sárpo clones – an update.
In: Potato in Progress – science meets practice Eds A.J. Haverkort and P.C. Struik; Wageningen Academic Publishers.
An invited paper presented at the GILB symposium at POTATO 2005, Emmeloord, The Netherlands.
- Shaw, David, and Remi Wattier (2002).
Evolution of Phytophthora infestans: a global view. In Late Blight: managing the global threat. Ed C. Lizárraga. International Potato Centre. Pp. 23-27.
Invited paper at Second International Late-blight Conference. Hamburg, Germany, 14 – 19 July, 2002.
- Shaw, David, Simon White and Debbie Evans.
Sárpo potato clones resistant to late-blight disease. Invited paper at Third International Late-blight Conference, Beijing, China, April 2008.
- Shaw, D, D Evans, C Bufe and DEL Cooke.
Can U.K. populations of P. infestans mate? Poster presented at Third International Late-blight Conference, Beijing, China, April 2008.
Publications Available On-Line From The Potato Council Ltd
- Shaw, David (2004).
Sexual reproduction in the late-blight pathogen, Phytophthora infestans: its role in aggravating the late-blight problem in GB.
- Shaw, David (2005).
Late blight resistance in new cultivars – Report No.807/244.
- Shaw, D, Z Nagy & D Thomas (2006).
Variation in Phytophthora infestans: determination of mating types and pathogenicity – Report No.2006/3.
- Shaw, David (2006).
Mating types in Phytophthora infestans in GB in 2005 – BPC Blight Forum, 2006.
- D Shaw, Z Nagy & D Evans (2007).
Variation in Phytophthora infestans: characterisation of A1 mating types and additional A2 mating types from 2005 – Report No.2007/1.
- D Cooke, A Lees, D Shaw, R Bain & L Cooke (2007).
Variation in aggressiveness in Phytophthora infestans – BPC Research Review.
In The Farming And Gardening Press:
- Randel, Colin. Battling against blight. Kitchen Garden, January. 2009.
- Walker, John. Holding the line. Organic Garden and Home, December, 2008
- Randel, Colin. A blight free potato crop. The Smallholder, December, 2008
- Shaw, David and Simon White. Sarpos are riding the storm. The Organic Grower, Autumn, 2008.
- Davies, Robert. Time to update spud varieties. Farmers Weekly, 10 October, 2008
- Walker, John. Sarpos help shrink spud’s carbon footprint. The Vegetable Grower, October, 2008
- Alston, Barry. Overcoming blight in West Wales. Farmers Guardian, September 19, 2008.
- Palmer, Neil. Ever-present danger – late blight. The New Agriculturist, September, 2008
- Powers, Jane. The potato drill. The Irish Times, 5 April, 2008
- Anon Blight. Potato Review, March, 2008.
- Wood, Blair. Blight sparks in Wales give Superspud clear advantages. Western Mail, 1 March, 2008.
- Shaw, David, A Welsh search for the perfect potato. Yr Ardd, Spring, p12-13, 2008. Newsletter of National Botanic Garden of Wales.
- Noel Kingsbury, Potato Blight? Take a history lesson. The Telegraph, 24 January, 2008
- Walker, John. The Fight against Blight. Organic Gardening, December 2007, p6-10.
- Randel, Colin, Fight back against blight Kitchen Garden, November 2007, p68-69.
- Randel, Colin, Potato blight wipeout, Kitchen Garden, October 2007, p7.
- Forsgrave, Andrew. Sign of light in war on potato blight. Dairly Post, August 2, 2007.
- Warters, Carol. New potatoes bring hope as blight rages. Garden News, 15 August 2007.
- Anon Taste test-a-thon for blight-free spud. Kitchen Garden, January 2007, p7.
- Gibson, Jame., Organic seed steps up a gear. The Vegetable Farmer, January 2007, p29.
- McColl, Jim. Aberdeen Press and Journal, October 10, 2006. p10.
- Anon Potato Review, Sept 13, 2006.
- Warters, Carol. Fresh hope in blight battle. Garden News, October 2006.
- Sumption, Phil. An eye on the potato. Organic Way, 183, p.20.
- Walker, John. Underground resistance. NFU Countryside, February 2006, p42.
- Turff, Roger. Crop Production, June 2005.
- Romans, Alan. (2005) The potato book. Frances Lincoln Ltd, London.
- Randel, Colin. What’s happening in the world of potatoes. 9 March, 2005.
- Anon Blight-resistant spuds get the thumbs up. The Vegetable Farmer, March, 2005.
- Anon T & M launches blight resistant Sarpos. Grower, 14 July, 2005.
- Romans, Alan. Copper-bottomed potato growing. Kitchen Garden.
David Shaw has spoken on U.K. BBC Radio-4’s programme “Farming Today” on several occasions about the advantages of growing Sarpo potatoes.
BBC 2: Jimmy Doherty’s Farming Heroes – Northern Island. Broadcast August, 2008
Roy Lyttle was chosen as one of Jimmy’s heroes. Roy has grown Sarpo Mira on his organic farm for several years and is a big fan of this variety. David Shaw appeared on the programme to explain about Sárpo potatoes. The gang ended up at the John Dory’s Traditional Fish and Chips shop in Belfast where the customers were asked to vote for John Dory’s favourite variety or for Sapo Mira. At least as many voted for Sarpo Mira as the standard variety.